It’s easy to take healthy breasts for granted — until you have a concern like a lump or pain. At Baptist Health Deaconess, we’re here to support you and help you get an accurate, timely diagnosis if you have a breast health issue.
Many breast health issues are not cancer. However, if you do get a breast cancer diagnosis, we can take care of you every step of the way. Many of our locations offer breast screenings, biopsies, treatment and rehabilitation services all in a single, convenient location.
Our multidisciplinary teams of breast surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, plastic surgeons and other professionals work closely together. Our goal: to provide you with customized, coordinated breast care.
We offer preventive care for women with healthy breasts, too. Your provider will show you how to monitor your own breast health with regular breast cancer self-exams. We also offer regular, screening mammograms.
Services We Offer
Whether you need routine breast screenings or more complex care, we’re here to help. If you get a breast cancer diagnosis, specially trained nurse navigators assist each patient with their cancer care.
Your nurse navigator will work closely with you and your family. Navigators can help coordinate your medical appointments, answer questions you may have forgotten to ask your doctor, educate your family about your condition and help you better understand your treatment options.
Other specialized breast health services we offer include:
- Breast imaging and screenings: Whenever possible, we use advanced 3-D tomosynthesis mammograms for better cancer detection and fewer patient callbacks. We also offer breast ultrasound, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and ductograms (enhanced mammograms that provide images of breast ducts).
- Biopsies: We use the latest technology to pinpoint precise breast tissue samples for extra testing. Our surgeons use ultrasound, MRI and stereotactic mammogram procedures to help guide breast biopsy.
- Diagnosis and treatment of non-cancerous conditions: We evaluate breast conditions such as lumps, breast pain, fibrous breast changes, nipple problems and discharge, breast infections and other concerns.
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: Our expert team gives you exercises to improve your strength and range of motion after surgery. Some of our locations also offer massage for pain relief and scar mobility.
- Lymphedema therapy: physical therapists are specially trained to detect and treat lymphedema after treatment in women who have breast cancer. This condition, which can develop after breast surgery, causes major arm and hand swelling.
- Genetic counseling: If you have breast disease, you may wonder if it runs in your family. If you have family members with breast disease, you may wonder about your own risk. Genetic counseling specialists can help determine if you, your siblings or your children are at risk of developing breast disease and would benefit from extra screenings
- Breast cancer treatment: If we find cancer during our testing, we will refer you to Baptist Health’s Deaconess comprehensive Cancer Care Centers. Our specialists will quickly and compassionately help determine the most effective treatment program for you. Baptist cancer center teams also offer information, support groups and classes to help you during treatment and recovery.
Breast Center and Imaging Services
We have been providing digital mammography since March 2007. We were the first in Madisonville to provide not only digital mammography, but also digital stereotactic breast biopsy capability.
If you are age 40 or older, an annual mammogram is crucial. Women's Care provides ultrasounds, digital mammograms, breast ultrasound, and other procedures such as needle localization prior to surgical biopsy. For your convenience, we have created a special Women's Imaging Services waiting room at the Women's Care. This relaxing environment helps make taking care of yourself less stressful.
You'll find the latest technology working on your behalf at Women's Care. Our MRI system is one of the most advanced of its type, and can scan both breasts at once, without compression. Your doctor will get exceptionally accurate image quality while providing a fast, comfortable exam for you. Our R2 Image Checker, in conjunction with mammography, can identify breast cancers much sooner than when they are detected with just mammography alone. We also offer bone density screening, which can determine the presence of - or your risk for - osteoporosis.
Schedule your annual mammogram today by calling 270-326-3900.
Women's Care offers breastfeeding classes for expectant mothers and their support person. In addition, a breastfeeding support group is held regularly at our facility. Mothers and babies are encouraged to attend.
Both classes are held at Women's Care.